Wednesday, November 14, 2007

They Don't Cry

The Fort Wayne Derby Girls are having the first-ever flat track roller derby tournament in Indiana next Saturday (11/24). I am going to interview someone from the team tomorrow so that I can write a preview story for the newspaper.

I have only been to one Derby Girls event, the first one, Apocalypse Pow. It was back in May of 2006 and it was a lot of fun. I used to watch the TV show Rollergames as a kid, and the DGs are a lot more interesting. Sure it's a bit campy, and the idea of women battling it out may seem anti-feminist, but it was all done for a good cause. They have given over $20,000 to charity.

So check out the Derby Girls' site and get rolling.

3 comments:

Ryno said...

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/032007/the-computer-demands-a-blog.gif

:-p

Ryno said...

BTW, see the last debate? Despite the news outlet's certainty that Hillary won the last debate, I call it a draw at best for her. The only one talking specifics is Obama, everyone else (on both sides of the isle) are just sound bites.

And since issues don't seem to be important to the Republicans, a party who held a dominating majority for better than 6 years and accomplished nothign, I'm abandoning issues, at least for '08 and officially giving my support to Obama just because I like him.

Plus, it would just make me look brilliant if he ended up winning, since I called it like 4 years ago when everyone was like "Obama??? Is that guy that bombed us?"

Tom Boyer said...

ryno,

Yeah, I'm liking Obama more and more. I still can't decide.

I'm leaving my final decision for May 2008.