Saturday, November 24, 2007

On Racism

So, yeah, this is quite a departure from a review of BSG, but I had to mention it. I went to the battery store and Chad and I found the battery he needed for his cell phone. It's not been holding a charge longer than a few hours, so he decided to try getting a whole new battery.

We matched one at the store in the cell phone battery section to the model number and make of his phone and then went to check out. It was very simple, no hassle.

As we were checking out, the clerk asked us if we were sure. We said that they had the same model numbers as his phone and the clerk said:

"Them Japs make it too easy."

Chad paid the man and we got the frak out of there.

I abhor racism, and it totally freaks me out when people are so flagrant about it. I suppose that flagrant racism is much better than the subtle racism of "White flight" and De facto segregation, but in the twenty-first century, I just don't understand why people are so hateful and mean.

2 comments:

Butter said...

If I'm understanding the context of the guy's comment correctly (he's commenting on the ease of use and efficiency of Japanese-manufactured electronics products), what exactly was racist about it? Inelegantly expressed to the point of ungrammaticality, yes, and perhaps even masking jealousy of a more industrious culture, but racist?

Tom Boyer said...

Yes, perhaps my reaction was a little knee-jerk. I probably had my own pre-conceived notions about the store clerk, however, his tone was more agitated than jocular or admiring.