Saturday, November 10, 2007

Celebrating Five Decades of Decadent Drag


Fort Wayne's own TULA who really should be written about in all caps, is celebrating 50 years of drag tonight at After Dark in Fort Wayne. The local Whatzup event paper did a story on her and her much less successful alter ego Charles Miller.

I'm including this because I think it's great anytime the local 'press' covers gay events. I recently joined the NLGJA so I'm keeping an eye out for stories like this. Too bad that drag performers are all anyone ever talks about when they cover Fort Wayne, well other than the brilliant Emma Downs who had a 3000 word project covering the growing acceptance of gays in fort wayne. Check the archive of the Journal Gazette to buy the story.

Sill 50 years of drag is quite an accomplishment, especially in this town, so I have to give TULA her props. There are now better drag artists out there, but TULA was out there doing it before most of them were even born. So I say congratulations to TULA.

By the way, if you didn't catch it in the first photo, the article IS next to the rail ad for C2G Coffeehouse, the Christian, pseudo-hipster dive downtown that has bad Christian artists doing their best God rock. I found it deliciously disjointed, so I had to point it out. I want to say that the editors of the Whatzup knew EXACTLY what they were doing.



If you're in town, TULA's anniversary celebration begins at 9 p.m. at After Dark at 1601 South Harrison. Cover charge is $3. Stay away from the pear-flavored vodka. It gave me nightmares, or maybe it was last night's featured drag guest who was a bit lopsided.

UPDATE:
Emma Downs of the Journal-Gazette had an interview with Tula, published on the eve of the party.

No comments: