Thursday, March 13, 2008

typophile


I wonder at times why I still bother watching television as a form of entertainment.

Allow me to elaborate:

So I sit there, laptop on my lap, typing away online and finding myself irritated that I have to take a break from what I am doing on the computer to fast forward through the commercials on TiVo.

And people wonder why there's such a thing as adult ADD.

Then while combing through my bookmarks, I found a post on one of my photography/design favorites called typophile.

To be more precise: Typophile.com.

Hold me back. I am such a nerd when it comes to fonts. I love love love fonts. I can't believe that part of my job is working with fonts. Of course, my company has it's own set fonts that we use, but there is something about the artistry of fonts that gets the wheels in my head turning. It's such a collision of art, commerce, and communication. There's no other craft like fonts. We actually talked about it in my philosophy of art class.

I immediately signed up as a typophile. I have even commented on a blog or two.

I guess the summary is that what's on my computer could keep me entertained and occupied for several days, so I should more or less give up on television. There are communities online of like-minded individuals, aka fontfreaks, in which I can immerse myself.

1 comment:

Andy said...

That's such a great website. I love the part in the forums where people post logos they've created looking for criticisms and some of the senior Typophiles just tear it apart.