Sunday, October 21, 2007

my career

This internship is kicking my literal backside.

I am totally braindead from the weekend, but to be honest, I treated myself to some time with friends, family, and the first night of at least eight hours of sleep in roughly two weeks.

Indianapolis was great. I should sleep on floors more often I think. My knock off tempurpedic mattress is nice, but I think it must do me some kind of good to just be on a flat, hard surface.

Now I'm off to bed, for less than eight hours, of course, and I'm bittersweet about it because I have to give back the newspaper's laptop tomorrow. It's incredibly nice not to be tied to my hulking desktop machine. The laptop experience is so oddly liberating. I think it actually made me write a better story because I didn't have to drive to the paper and all that stuff. I think I'm going to try to check out used laptops and maybe get one after the tax refund season. I'd prefer a Mac, but for writing, which is what I use the computer for most, I would take a PC.

The newspaper's IBM ThinkPad is a very solid-feeling machine. It's heavy, yet light enough that I don't feel overwhelmed. It's amazing how far laptops have come since my dad brought the first one home 15 years ago. They are so small.

Anyway, I've got to get going. At least I know that I must be wicked because I get no rest.

1 comment:

EB said...

You can do it.

I'm just saying.