Sunday, February 24, 2008

My thoughts on the oscars

So, I just finished watching the Oscars(r) through the glorious invention of TiVo.

Some random thoughts:
  • TG Juno won something. My sister Kath calls best original screenplay "The grand booby prize" that the Academy gives out when something's really good, but there's still a better "Best Picture" movie. In this case, since an ex-stripper wrote the film, it really is a grand booby prize.
  • Daniel Day-Lewis can suck it. The whole bowing to Helen Mirren was soooo last year. His "method acting" of taking years to prepare, blah blah is kind of interesting, but really, I'm so tired of his schtick.
  • The montages of past year's clips were probably the most charming parts of the evening.
  • John Stewart's Wii game with the little choir girl was lame. It smacked of product placement.
  • John Stewart was funnier than the last time, but still not quite funny enough.
  • Enchanted's songs were really good, but the song from Once was way better. August Rush was kind of pedantic and stale, even with a prodigy songstress.
  • Jack Nicholson can just never come up on stage again. He seemed totally out of it. He definitely needs some Geritol or something (speaking of product placement).
  • It's a Class A Felony that Hillary Swank has 2 Oscars and Laura Linney has yet to receive one. LL Cool Lady is an incredibly passionate and versatile actress.
  • I really want to see La Vie En Rose. I love Edith Piaf's music. I actually have had it on my Nano for over a year.
  • Paul Thomas Anderson's movies intrigue me. Even though DDL is in it, I may have to see There Will be Blood. What the hell is drinking a milkshake have to do with oil?
  • The Coen Brothers movies are fascinating. I just saw Big Lebowski a few months ago for the first time. Fargo was amazing and Lebowski was enchantingly strange.
  • NCFOM is still putting me off because Tommy Lee Jones is in it. The only movie I like that man in is Coal Miner's Daughter. He can suck it with DDL.

No comments: