Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Auntie Mange

Seriously people, what's going on? So many of my coworkers now have dogs. They have even brought them into the office to show everyone. (It's complicated, don't make me explain.) I dogsat for my sister a month or so ago and now I'm dogsitting for some more friends this weekend.

Canines now run my life and I don't officially own any. I am uncle to my sisters' dogs and I'm an Auntie to my friends' dog. I have dogs coming out of my ears.

I really like playing with dogs, walking them, petting them, even grooming is kind of relaxing. But I don't know about owning one. I have a houseplant that by some extreme karmic joke has been able to stay alive nearly three years, in spite of my forgetfulness with the watering can. I dread forgetting to feed or water a dog. I guess I'm decent at it because this was the third or fourth time I've looked after my sister's dog, but it honestly scares the hell out of me.

Dogs in my opinion seem harder to take care of than children. At least the children eventually learn to read and take themselves to the bathroom. Hell, they even learn how to assemble a sandwich so they won't starve to death, but the best a dog can do for itself is go feral, and then it might just eat me.

But that's not what scares me the most. Anyone who lets a dog get that far obviously has too many other issues to look after a pet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anyone even THINKS of putting a puppy under my Christmas tree, just make sure you have a receipt so I can return it.

No comments: