Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Progressive Politics and Cookies


This evening I attended a fundraiser for Jill Long Thompson, the Democratic nominee for the Indiana Governor's race. I was invited because I made a small donation to her campaign. This evening she discussed her platform and the importance of economic recovery.

Also, she laid out her ideas for getting better health care. It was a fascinating event. She was very poised and assuring.

Of course, I will vote for her. She was after all my congresswoman until Mark Souder came along.


I don't know if it's the highbrow appetizers, but there really is an electrifying effect to being around someone so charismatic and powerful. Of course, it may have also been the sugar from the yummy cookies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She picked a running mate who voted for SJR-7. The only Democratic turncoat who voted in committee in favor of it.

So, you know, honestly. Cookies? Charisma? Seriously?

She herself is in favor of second-class citizenship for gays and lesbians. Sorry, I have no patience left for separate-but-equal civil unions. And beyond that, picking your own personal Joe Lieberman to rope in fundies and idiots (or "bipartisan appeal", as the pundits say) is the type of idiocy that makes me and a lot of people in the Democratic base have no faith in the party. How'd that work out for us in 2000? They need to get in their heads that I do not want to compromise with people that would deny me civil rights, especially those who would do so based on superstition.

Of course, he's only running for Lt. Governor, and that person doesn't really have much power and, ah, never gets booted any higher... Oh wait.

The green jobs thing sounds nifty, though.