Monday, December 3, 2007

Sci fi supremacy revisited

So I got a little acrimonious about Star Trek and Star Wars. I apologize to the fans.

I enjoy both stories very much, but as I commented to Cbutterb, I think that the BSG universe is much more carefully honed than the other two. It is not without its overriding thematic problems in individual episodes and multi-episode story arcs.

That being said.

I need to eat my humble pie when I forgot to even include Firefly for comparison.



Firefly was a great series, and Serenity was a great movie. In reality, the acting was great, on par with most of the actors on BSG. The story lines were very compelling, though at times they were a bit of a rehash of western themes and archetypes.

The most unjust thing was that the series was never allowed to mature into its rightful place among the uppermost echelons of science fiction space operas. Serenity was the last best chance for Whedon to give us something for the ages. Unfortunately, it was hasty and frenetic, trying to cram all too much of a wrap-up into two hours of screen time. It was as though the baby was half born and the doctors shoved it back in. Then with the movie, the baby shot right out of the womb and grew up in an instant.

That's the tragedy of commercial television.

Of course, pay cable is not without its own faults. Queer as Folk proved that with no commercial sponsors to worry about and no audiences to lure, there is no accountability for taste. That sounds like a separate post, but I think I'm too tired.

No comments: