Tuesday, December 11, 2007

All these things that she's done



I desperately want to believe in a candidate, and I think Hillary has captured my imagination. I am a huge Hillarist. I've admired her since I was in high school because she was so radical. She seems to have mellowed, but I think she still has a spark of initiative to lead a new era.

I support the radical progressivism that Kucinich stands for, but I think Hillary will win. Is it just nostalgia? Maybe, but I think she could really ignite a new era of active politics.

I read an article in Fortune that talked about all of her East Coast and High Finance backers. Since she is a US Senator from New York, they have an idea of what she can do for them. That's encouraging to me. It means she could even get the support of die-hard republicans.

It seems risky for a poor college graduate from Indiana to put all his money on someone who could wind up raising taxes, but I would gladly pay hundreds more each year for the change she could bring to the country.

3 comments:

Butter said...

She supports keeping gay marriage illegal.
She voted for the PATRIOT Act. Twice.
She introduced a bill to make flag-burning illegal.
She supports continuation of drug prohibition.

Most importantly:
She voted for the damn war, and has defended that decision.

Let’s compare this to Kucinich:

He supports making gay marriage legal.
He voted against the PATRIOT Act.
He supports keeping flag-burning legal.
He supports drug legalization.
He voted against the war.

And to keep things in perspective:
He introduced articles of impeachment against Dick Cheney. This is an actual man, who actually exists, that has actually done something to initiate impeachment.

If you support Kucinich’s policies, support Kucinich. This “electability” media narrative burns my ass. An electable person is someone the electorate decides is electable, not who the TV tells you is. And quite bluntly, I don’t *want* a candidate that’s acceptable to die-hard Republicans. When’s the last time they gave a damn about finding a candidate that appealed to us?

I’ll hold my nose and vote for her, if she gets the nomination, because given the choice between supporting a fascist, and someone who once in a while appeases fascists, the rational choice is the latter. But I don’t think that before the primary is the time to settle or compromise your values.

Tom Boyer said...

Cbutterb,

I don't have any justification for my admiration of Hillary. I think that I just want to believe in the political process again. You raised excellent points about her record and Kucinich.

I hope that however the first wave of primaries go, she will get the nomination regardless. It's frustrating because people have wanted her to run ever since November of 2004 when Bush won. I think that I may have just succombed to the popular notion that she will win.

I just hope that the rest of the candidates can force her to be a little bit more committal on her policy stances so we may actually find out whether she's going to have any real follow through.

Ryno said...

Ooh, boy. Bill Clinton's wife.

Obama has me inspired. I finally feel like there's a candidate we could collectively be proud of.

Proud Obama supporter and registered member of:
republicansforobama.org

*thumbsup*

Obama in '08!