Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kneel Before Jobs

In the classic movie Superman 2, the three escaped convicts from Krypton commanded the puny Earthlings to "Kneel Before Zod."

I was considering getting a new iPhone recently, until I found out that I would need to get AT&T Wireless and give up my precious Verizon. I normally don't really have that much loyalty for companies, but I refuse to be bound by an arbitrary backroom deal done by Apple and AT&T.

I am a huge Apple fan. I consider myself a Mac user, who in desperation and a rather unusual bit of common sense chose the cheap $700 Windows alternative laptop to the $3000 Mac Book Pro I really wanted.

I am more and more frustrated by Apple, but I can't stay mad at them. The computers I feel are beautifully designed, but I really think Apple should license its Operating System. But the quandary is that if it were licensed, it would probably be just as poor quality as windows.

For now, I will keep hope alive that I can one day afford a MBPro, but for now, it will all have to wait. Maybe someday, I will finally kneel before Jobs.

1 comment:

David said...

Yes, but no! I was similarly faced with this conundrum as my brother was ordering a new computer and I wanted one, but I didn't want anything to do with Vista.

Mac's OS X Tiger or Leopard or crazy other predatory cat would be fine on any machine as long as there were drivers to support it.

Since Mac is so great about saying that it works with anything--which, let me tell you since I work on a Mac at work, and it doesn't work with Microsoft Server 2003 and doesn't support Outlook, that's bullshit--but anyway it would be great if I could choose this operating system when I custom designed my next puter.

But that won't happen. Also, notice that Apple is now playing up the 3G iPhone as being twice as fast, and I assume that means twice as fast as their friggin previous iPhone.

Which, to me, seems like fail. Apple is really going to advertise to me like they're upgrading an inferior, slow product like the iPhone--which they touted was totally awesome when it first came out--and this is something like the similar revolution of the original iPhone?

No. No, I won't fall for it and I won't buy it. They could've been a revolution by having a 3G phone to begin with, and by not signing some devil contract with AT&T.

The similar anti-Microsoft attitude, that anti-conformist and anti-restriction and anti-helplessness that originally attracted me to Mac is now anti-attracting me to the iPhone. Fuck them. I can get what I want out of many phones. I do have a memory worth more than a few months and I won't forget.

Apple can suck it. I pirated their last OS and didn't feel bad. If they're going to restrict the same way Micro-suck does, they can feel the same indifference I apply to that conglomerate craziness.

Rant over.