Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Post Apocalypse Post

Jericho is my new Netflix saga of the moment, but I can't tell whether I like it or not.

I tend to like post-apocalypse type settings for movies, but this one hits very close to home, at least metaphorically. The show is set in a timeline where there have been 23 nuclear detonations in major US cities, where the fictional hamlet of Jericho miraculously survives.

This plot kind of follows the worst-case scenario imaginable, except it's also got an over-arching Lost type of story arc with multiple mysteries and gray areas when it comes to the ethics of the main characters.

If it sounds familiar, it's because it's very similar to the premise of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, which started earlier, but ran about the same time. I loved BSG, so I was intrigued by Jericho, but Jericho has not won me over. I am sticking with it because of the mysteries.

I find Jericho much more unsettling than Battlestar Galactica, mainly because of its setting. I almost find it dangerous to imagine such a realistic nuclear apocolypse, because it kind of presents an all-too realistic scenario. However, the acting is mostly good, and I can always picture Skeet Ulrich in Scream to snap me back to reality. I suppose I will finish it, but I may have to watch some cat yodeling to bring me back into the present tense.

No comments: