Saturday, March 12, 2011

52 Weeks of Music - The Id by Macy Gray



And now for something completely different...

Macy Gray is someone I see as a very misunderstood and under-appreciated talent. I picked up a used copy of The Id on a lark at the record store a few years ago, a couple years after it was already out. I heard "Sexual Revolution" in a movie and this CD had it on it, so I bought it.

As fortune would have it, The Id turned out to be one of my all time favorite CDs. It's chock full of emotion, flirtation, betrayal, frivolity, and fantastic rhythm and blues.

You... tell me that you love me
If it's true, why am I running from ya
and Who are these bitches on my answering machine?
--from the song "Boo"


Absolutely fantastic.

I would characterize this album as a kind of R&B / Pop Fusion kind of sound. It's absolutely one of the most entertaining collections of songs that are out there. You should definitely pick it up.

The Id on Wikipedia

Album link on iTunes

No comments: