Sunday, January 23, 2011

52 Weeks of Music, Week 4 - London Calling by the Clash



I am not much of an expert on punk rock, but I know great music when I hear it. From the angry stacatto strumming of the title track that opens the album to the plaintive harmonica that trails off the ending, London Calling is a great album.

As the youngest of four kids, my musical tastes were somewhat patterned after my older siblings, though largely my oldest sister. She opened me up to the throaty ballads of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night and the shear poetry of Simon & Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park, but I always wanted more.

The Indiana suburbs of the early 1980s were not really a welcoming place for the strange world and sounds of punk. The most risque things got around our house was when my sister bought Prince records, or years later when I bought some Prince CDs. There wasn't really room in this tepid tableau for the social commentary of British punk. My recollection was that it seemed to all be written off as dirty because of bands with names like the Sex Pistols were too controversial. I remember the fight over radios playing George Michael's "I Want Your Sex" which they had to dub over with "I Want Your Love." Even in 2011, censorship reigns supreme, with CeeLo Green's "Forget You" instead of the original "Fuck You."

But the Clash sneaked into my world in barely perceptible ways. I remember the songs "Rock the Casbah" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" from the original airings on the radio. They sort of faded into the cacophony of my musical memory, but somehow they would germinate later in life, eventually growing into a deep appreciation for the band's fluid and adaptable aesthetic.

Sometime in the late 1990s, I heard the song "Lost in the Supermarket" on a local alternative radio station and fell in love with its cockeyed view of crass consumerism. I would go on to immerse myself in learning more about the band. Considering "Lost in the Supermarket" was released in 1979, its applicability to the late 1990s was eerily prescient, if not just downright creepy.

So I bought the London Calling CD and love to give it a listen every now and then. The album is ecclectic in its sounds. See the aforementioned electric guitar and harmonica. But it's almost depressing to listen to today, with the context of the interceding 30 years. The prophets of punk decried the future and we didn't listen. That is to say, "Lost in the Supermarket" could pretty much be taken as a prophecy about the 2008 Market Crash.

But then, if you listen to the rest of the album, you can get lost in its other messages, so to speak. I think it's pretty powerful prose and poetry. It's almost gleeful with subversion.

If you get a chance, listen to the whole album and then try to imagine if any artist today could foretell the future so eloquently. Of course, hindsight is always perfect. Foresight is ambiguous. I guess just get up and dance.



London Calling on Wikipedia

No comments: